You will need to register if you were an old (2012) MCL user

Just to be clear, while this is mycoffeelounge.net, Paris let the old place die, all posts from the original MCL are most likely gone forever

Don't let the fact that your browser remembers your old username and password fool you, but you can, of course, use your old username here, when you register

Scam phone calls

• Got a call from "Westpac Fraud Department"

Only one of those words was accurate

Anyway, actually managed to keep them on the line for over 7 minutes - confirmed my DOB as 21/7/1933 - which they accepted despite me telling them I'm at work (work at 86?!! Who would)

Then gave them a random 8 digit customer ID and 6 digit password - their second mistake, asking if the password was upper or lower case

They put me on hold, came back and asked if I could repeat the details

I said, "Sorry, I can't"

"Why not"

"Because I gave you random numbers and I can't remember them, they were as fake as you are"

At which point they actually thanked me before hanging up

The curious thing about it is

• They knew my address
    • They knew my bank
    • They knew my home phone
    • They knew my mobile phone

None of these 4 things are immediately connected since I only just got the new home phone number and our mobiles are in @mandyj's name

The other curious thing is, they rang home first, @mandyj told them nothing because she couldn't understand them at all. But they told her someone was trying to transfer $750 to a commonwealth bank account - whereas they told me someone was trying to transfer $780 to an international account in the name of Mike Wilson

• Do you have a PayID?

• No

But they rang home again today

Same $780

Same Mike Wilson

But this time they didn't call my mobile - I had some good stuff ready too

Date of birth: 30 Jan 1948 (The day Gandhi was assassinated)
    Password: NG0D5E (Nathuram Godse assassinated Gandhi)

🤕

• I don't think most of the NumptyGuptas will get it

• I certainly woudn't have. Does that make me an honourary NumptyGupta? It better fucking not.

• @Snark said in Scam phone calls:

I certainly woudn't have. Does that make me an honourary NumptyGupta? It better fucking not.

Oh god are you injun?

• Not last time I looked.

• Anyone who falls for scam calls is a fucking moron and deserves to have their money taken from them by some 3rd world scumbag

• When "Mike" calls but he sounds like Apu or Sanjiv, this is a big fucking red flag

• I used to have a Dell rep, his signature block at the bottom of all his emails said something like:

Regards,

Shivnarine Sandawadguldeep....23morecharactershere...
    (call me Max)

... and I used to wonder - how the fuck did you get 'Max' from that name? Especially when you don't even have an M or an X in there??

• There's a bus driver in Sydney whose name is Luvdik Mandeep or something like that

• @Dread said in Scam phone calls:

... and I used to wonder - how the fuck did you get 'Max' from that name? Especially when you don't even have an M or an X in there??

maybe he just liked the name Max

• @kess said in Scam phone calls:

@Dread said in Scam phone calls:

maybe he just liked the name Max

I reckon he liked cricket and talking to Aussies all day - named himself after Andrew Symons nickname ...