You will need to register if you were an old (2012) MCL user

Just to be clear, while this is mycoffeelounge.net, Paris let the old place die, all posts from the original MCL are most likely gone forever

Don't let the fact that your browser remembers your old username and password fool you, but you can, of course, use your old username here, when you register

Renovating sux

• Renovating a bathroom

Work hasn't even started, and the stress levels are off the charts

Bought, mainly for the tiles, at Harvey Norman. Along with toilet and shower head and other stuff

A week later, the tiles are ready, just waiting on the other stuff

Another week and did you want the stuff delivered all at once?

Well, yes we do.

OK, Tuesday delivery

That was today. The Harvey Norman delivery came and went ... no tiles

Rang Mr Norman. Where are my tiles?

Oh, they will be delivered separately!!

WTF? So, the tiles could've been delivered a week and a half ago?

Anyway, so the tiles get delivered. Fat cunt brings them up our steep driveway on a (small) forklift. Takes a look at the path with 6 steps down to the house and says, "I'll leave them up here"

Right, so I had to take them to the house ... who knew 4 600x600mm tiles could weigh that much!!!

Next step, check the delivery. Everything labelled as per order - so far so good. Daughter asks "what is a rimless toilet" - so I opened the toilet pan ... and couldn't show my daughter a rimless toilet, because they sent the wrong damn toilet pan!!!

Glass brick window going in on Thursday ... that was another fuck up, the guy was supposed to let us know when that would be done last week, so we could organise the reno team. Of course, they didn't tell us until yesterday, and I'm just hoping the builder can start sooner rather than later!!!

It's going to be worth it ... I keep telling my self that, otherwise I'm likely to go postal!

• @bravo
    Due to the medical oxy for months last year I couldn't make dust or paint so any renos were put on hold.
    In last 6 months have done the following
    *...old wooden windows (very large) removed and replaced with aluminum, and of course new vertical blinds.
    *Two new external doors with deadlocks fitted..old ones were internals on the outside of the place. Rotten job sanding and painting as they put a green protective paint on them in manufacture, and undercoat and 2 coats of gloss was "fun".
    *Done 60% of the internal painting, and am in the process today installing new deadbolts on remaining wooden windows.

When painting finished new carpets to be installed ,and that's the inside finished.

I agree renovating does suck!!!!!

• Down the road we are replacing the aluminium windows with wood perhaps b i folds. it never ends.

• @mandyj said in Renovating sux:

Down the road ...

I'd rather do it at our place

• I have had enough of renovations! Spent most of last year doing the outside of our house. It was hard bloody work but well worth it.

It started off as just a small side yard project that turned into every side of our bloody house!
    31945896_10156564522748109_1536280411317993472_o.jpg

I still need to put up the massive outdoor fan, heater and some actual downlights into the patio area - We also have a spot for a firepit that I need to find and be happy with but then it's pretty much done

Other than all the bloody plants K is trying to purchase and make me find spots for haha

I'll try hunt down some other photos later 🙂

• @mandyj said in Renovating sux:

Down the road we are replacing the aluminium windows with wood perhaps b i folds. it never ends.

we replaced all our wooden windows with aluminium

• Step 1 complete

The glass brick window

Looks rough around the edges because it's going to be tiled when the real renos are being done

step1.jpg

• next step - demo.

• looks good, my oldest girl has the same in her bathroom

• Just dropped close to $40k all up on a new kitchen, another $6k ish for new roof, gutters etc, 40 odd new LED downlights throughout the house and re did all the electrical points with fancy chrome ones with black buttons that have blue LED's and have $3k's worth of Wood look tiles sitting in a stack outside till I can find a Tiler to lay them for me ... in hindsight I should have sold the fuckign house and bought a new one 😛

• i know the feeling dread, our house was renovated but in some places it needs updating including roof, gutters, new carpet and wood look floor and then downstairs which is semi self contained.
    i just love the house and it fits our family perfectly = daughter has downstairs which is a teen retreat.

• We've painted this entire house, even the timberwork. Bogged every dent, the lot. Re-tiled, prepared and painted the roof, put up new fences. Hoping to run away in a motor-home sooner rather than later and rent it out.

I nearly got a glass brick windows in my bathroom. But the dickhead I hired on mates rates was a feral creep with feral dogs so I cancelled it rather than have to deal with his special brand of fuckwit and now I've lost my renovating mojo.

• But the end result makes it worthwhile
    before.JPG
    during.JPG
    during2.JPG
    after.JPG

• @The-J-Man said in [Renovating sux]
    Looks good Jman, lighting works well.

• @Les said in Renovating sux:

@The-J-Man said in [Renovating sux]
    Looks good Jman, lighting works well.

Thanks!

LED all over the house now and a fresh coat of paint in and out rejuvenated the (not so) old dump

• @Dread said in Renovating sux:

in hindsight I should have sold the fuckign house and bought a new one

That's what I'm thinking of doing after we sell up here. Buying a cheap house on around 2 Ha zoned rural, living in the old house and building a new one for my old age.

• waterproofing today and we were short 3 boxes of tiles so johnny went to organise that this morning.

• The last revnovation we did is the last one I'll do. I think it ended up costing around $120-130K.
    Moved the kitchen from one side of the house to the other and put it outside the original house.
    Suits the tropics well. Excuse the mess, we live here.

alt text

• @Snark said in Renovating sux:

The last revnovation we did is the last one I'll do. I think it ended up costing around $120-130K.
    Moved the kitchen from one side of the house to the other and put it outside the original house.
    Suits the tropics well. Excuse the mess, we live here.

Looks fantastic!

• @Snark said in Renovating sux:

The last revnovation we did is the last one I'll do. I think it ended up costing around $120-130K.

It does look good Snark 👍 , I'm going to rebuild the back enclosed veranda soon and redo the bathroom and laundry. It's just so I can get the house up to standard so I can get my dad out of the nursing home and pass an inspection for a home care package. I'm budgeting on $60k to $70k. Once I get him home and the worst bits of the house done, we'll look at selling up and getting a new place built.